These Korean-style kalbi grilled beef short ribs are a nice change to add to your barbecue repertoire. Initially marinated for four hours they are cooked quickly on the grill before being served with rice.
The kalbi marinade is made from scratch with mainly normal ingredients except for the gochujang which is a paste that you may need to get from a specialized Asian market. Alternatively, it can be substituted for a chili paste or sauce.
If you don’t have access to thin butchered beef short ribs the marinade can be used on cross-cut short ribs or flanken ribs (both of which are basically the same cut but with a different name) or alternatively other thin cuts of beef.
Grilled Short Beef Ribs Recipe
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- 10 beef short ribs or flanken ribs
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- In a large bowl combine the garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, gochujang, sesame seeds, and green onion. Stir well to combine.
- Add the beef short ribs to the Kalbi marinade and chill for 4 hours, or up to 8 hours.
- Set up your grill for indirect cooking with a hot side and a cool side.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade and shake off any excess.
- Cook the beef ribs on the cool side of the grill for 15 minutes. As they are so thin they will cook quickly.
- Finish the beef ribs on the direct heat side to get a good char on each side. About 30 seconds on each side depending on the temperature.
- Serve the grilled beef ribs over rice then garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
More Beef Rib Recipes
Smoked Beef Short Ribs
Smoked Beef Rib Pops