You can prepare this gluten-free peach crisp before you head out on your camping trip, and then keep it in the cooler until you’re ready to cook it for dessert. Simply add the various elements to a Dutch oven and cook.
Start cooking the peach crisp as soon as you sit down to dinner, so dessert is ready by the time you’re done with the main course. The crisp is cooked by placing charcoal briquettes or campfire coals above and below the Ducth oven.
If you don’t have fresh peaches on hand, or they’re not in season, they can be substituted for canned peaches. Alternatively try any local, seasonal fruit that you like. Make sure you have about 3 cups of chopped fruit, so there is enough crumble to go around.
Gluten Free Peach Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- 3 cups diced peaches
- Dutch oven
- Parchment paper
- Add the oats, sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a bowl. Mix to blend together. Add the cubed butter and toss to coat.
- Place the crumble mixture into a ziplock bag and seal. Chill until needed.
- Add the fruit to a parchment-lined Dutch oven. Top with the crumble mixture.
- Start a charcoal fire in your fire pit. Once the coals are hot, spread them out and add the Dutch oven to the fire. Cover the top with hot coals.
- Cook the crumble for 20 minutes. Check to see if the sauce is bubbly and the oats are brown. If not, cook a little longer.
Dutch Oven Dessert
Grilled Side Dish
BBQ Grilled Salad