Fairy Bread is a treat found across Australia, typically made for children’s birthday parties as a simple yet colorful treat. A residual piece of history when white bread was popular and there wasn’t much money, making this a cheap treat.
One of the quickest and easiest treats to prepare, fairy bread is an ideal option for camping or picnics when looking for something that is special yet simple to transport and assemble.
In modern times there are a variety of different sprinkles available making it easier to color-code and create themes for your event, from sporting teams to baby showers. There is no limit to your imagination.
Fairy Bread Recipe
- 6 slices white bread (or wholemeal if feeling healthy)
- margarine, as needed
- hundreds and thousands (sprinkles), as needed
- chopping board
- butter knife
- Layout the bread, trimming the crusts if desired.
- Spread with enough margarine that the hundreds and thousands will stick.
- Sprinkle with hundreds and thousands so fully covered.
- Cut into triangles for a traditional presentation or use cookie cutters to make a variety of fun shapes.