This is a great breakfast or brunch to cook on the BBQ, hot plate, or griddle, especially for large crowds. It’s easy to make a large batch of these eggs in bread, instead of frying individual eggs for each person.
Top with fresh herbs, your favorite hot sauce, or any other egg topping you like. Serving with bacon, sausages, beans, and similar can help round it out into a hearty meal.
If feeling super adventurous you can use different shaped cutters for different events, like hearts for Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day.
Egg in Bread Recipe
- 1 slice bread per person
- 1 teaspoon butter or oilper person
- 1 egg per person
- flat top grill (griddle or skillet)
- Using a biscuit cutter, glass, cookie-cutter, or similar, cut a hole in the center of the bread. Tip: Using shaped cookie cutters can add a theme to the meal, for example, heart-shaped for Valentine’s Day.
- Preheat a flat top grill to medium heat 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Add the holed bread onto the preheated flat top grill.
- Place the butter in the bread's hole. As soon as it has melted crack the egg into the hole.
- Cook until you can see the egg is firm on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip the bread with the egg in it to the other side to finish cooking, about 2 minutes. Cook for longer, if you like your eggs to be hard in the middle.
- Serve the egg in the bread immediately with the bread hole on top.