Egg in a Mushroom is a simple self-contained breakfast for one. Additional flavor comes from tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. This is a quick and easy breakfast to make, whether you are at home or out camping.
Although the instructions are for a single serving, this recipe can easily be multiplied for as many people as you need to cook for. It is an ideal breakfast for a crowd, as you get everything you need for breakfast in a single serving. It is also easy to customize the recipe to each individual eater.
If you are feeling adventurous the recipe can be easily modified. Try different items below the egg, like slices of onions, avocado, or bell peppers. Switch up the cheese with cheddar, Gouda, or even blue cheese. Your imagination can really run wild with this foundation recipe.
Egg in a Mushroom Recipe
- 1 portobello mushroom stalk removed and gills cleaned
- 1/2 tomato sliced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely diced parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- flat top grill griddle, or skillet
- heating dome
- Preheat the flat top grill, griddle, or skillet to medium heat.
- Add the bacon and let slightly render. Add the mushroom to the fat, stalk side down. When the mushroom has started to brown on the parts touching the grill turn over.
- Fill the mushroom with the tomato, then add the egg. Sprinkle with the cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper then place the melting dome over the top.Tip: If you don’t have a melting dome, an upside-down steel bowl or pot can create the same effect.
- Cook until the cheese is melted and the egg cooked to your preferred doneness. Serve while hot alongside the bacon.
More Mushroom Recipes
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
Grilled Herb Mushrooms
Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
BBQ Grilled Sandwich