This is a great choice as a side dish or vegetarian or vegan main. The grilled herb mushrooms use a homemade fresh herb oil to season them while cooking, then also dress them when served.
The fresh red chili and green cilantro create a delightful visual effect to compliment the deep flavors. As people eat with their eyes first, that is a good thing. The overall effect is quite stunning.
The mushrooms are grilled cup side down first, after turning so it is now cup side up, herb oil added and it will combine with the juices naturally coming from the mushroom. All these flavours in the mushroom cup infuse to create the powerful flavors.
Grilled Herb Mushrooms Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 2 sprigs cilantro finely diced
- 1/2 red chili pepper finely diced
- 8 large mushrooms or 16 medium mushrooms
- Combine the olive oil, toasted sesame oil, Shaoxing rice wine, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, cilantro, and chili. Leave to sit while preparing the mushrooms and grill to let the flavors develop.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat while preparing the mushrooms.
- Remove the stalk from the mushrooms and clean the heads.
- On the preheated grill, cook the mushrooms open side-down (the side the stalk was removed from) until there are well-defined grill marks and they are starting to soften, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn the mushrooms over and add 1 teaspoon of the herb dressing to each mushroom (this uses about half of the dressing). Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use the remaining dressing to brush the mushrooms to give them a glossy appearance. When on the plate drizzle the herb oil on and around the mushrooms; this looks great but also provides a flavor boost from the fresh herb mixture.
More Mushroom Recipes
Foil Chicken and Mushrooms
BBQ Grilled Sandwich
Mexican Mushroom Burger