This is a novel yet very effective way to cook outdoors. The Dutch Oven Ham Pizza actually uses the Dutch oven upside down. It creates a crusty brown base and a gooey cheese top.
This is such a unique cooking method that the instructions spend a little more focus on the method rather than a complicated recipe. Once you have mastered the technique almost any pizza you make at home can now be cooked outdoors.
The ham pizza itself is a great simple option for camping with easy-to-pack ingredients, with most being pre-made. It is well-loved by kids as something different from the cheese pizza or pepperoni pizza.
Dutch Oven Ham Pizza Recipe
- 1 pound pizza dough premade
- 1 cup pizza sauce premade
- 1 cup pizza cheese blend
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 12 inch Dutch oven
- hot gloves
- Take the fresh dough and work it into a round pizza base. Lay the pizza base on a floured chopping board, making it a small enough size that it fits on the Dutch oven lid with space to maneuver around it.
- Top the pizza base with the pizza sauce spreading evenly across the pizza. Sprinkle a small amount of the cheese evenly over the pizza sauce then add the diced ham evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the pizza. Leave in a warm place for the dough to rise while preparing the Dutch oven.
- Set up the Dutch oven for pizza cooking, effectively cooking on it upside down. The lid is placed upside down on a trivet above hot coals. Unlike normal Dutch oven cooking, you can use as many coals as you can because the hotter the Dutch oven the better the pizza will cook. The base (now lid) also needs to be pre-heated; this can be done on top or aside if that is easier. Just before cooking it is important that there are still enough coals to keep the Dutch oven at cooking temperature for 15 minutes.
- When the Dutch oven is ready, slide the pizza onto the pre-heated lid. Place the Dutch oven base on top adding a generous amount of coals.
- The pizza is done when you can start to smell it, plus two minutes. This will be about 15 minutes in total. Timing is difficult to predict for this style of cooking as there are so many variables. Be prepared for the cooking time to be shorter or longer than the predicted 15 minutes.
- When cooked the pizza can be slid back onto a chopping board, or a large spatula can be used to lift it off.
- Make sure you have appropriate hot gloves to handle the Dutch oven while using this method.
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals