If you are looking to add some theatrics to your next outdoor dessert try flambé bananas. The flames will grab everyone’s attention yet the recipe is still simple and very tasty. This is a classic dessert that is well situated for outdoor cooking.
Bananas are not always the easiest ingredient to travel with. So consider serving this dessert towards the beginning of a long trip. Otherwise, the bananas may be overripe by the time you are ready to use them.
The recipe suggests brandy or rum, but you can exchange it for other alcohols that you may have on the campsite already. Try not to avoid using any alcohol, as it is a big factor in the final flavor. If available, this dessert is delicious with vanilla ice cream.
Flambé Bananas Recipe
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brandy or rum
- frying pan,
- gas stove
- Peel and quarter the banana. This should be done at the last possible moment so the banana doesn't brown or soften.
- In a small skillet or frying pan add the brown sugar and butter, gently mixing or stirring as it melts.
- When the butter and sugar have completely melted add the orange or lemon juice. The acid in this stops the sugar from crystalizing and keeps a smooth sauce.
- Add the bananas and cover with the sugar syrup. When starting to heat through turn over and cook the other side.
- Shortly after turning the bananas add the brandy and heat so the alcohol starts to evaporate. Tilt the pan towards the gas flame and it will catch fire causing the flambé. Serve immediately.
BBQ Grilled Dessert