This is an old camping favorite because it creates no dirty dishes as the cake is cooked in an orange. Chocolate and orange are a natural fit for one another.
Traditionally the orange is fully scooped out and a cake batter is added. This version leaves some of the fruit and its juice in the orange. Then powdered cake mix is added on top making it even easier to make. This method is similar to a dump cake.
The result is a beautiful combination of chocolate and orange creating a Jaffa-like flavor. It is wonderful to eat as-is or pair it with a mild cream, ice cream, or custard.
Popular with children as they can easily make, cook, and eat all by themselves.
Chocolate Orange Cake Recipe
- 1 orange
- 1 packet chocolate cake mix
- hot coals
- Slice the top off the orange and keep it for later.
- Using a sharp spoon scoop out the orange, being careful not to put a hole in the side, or expose the bitter pith. Leave the base of the orange's fruit about a quarter way up, filled with orange juice.
- Scoop in 3 tablespoons of chocolate cake mix. This may be more or less depending on the size of the orange.
- Place the lid on the orange, then position in the coals. Try to achieve a hot heat, about 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). It is not necessary to bury the orange.
- After 10 minutes take off the lid and check if the cake is cooked through. If cooked remove and serve, if not, continue cooking until done.
Dutch Oven Dessert