This is a nice chocolate cake that is easy to make and tastes great. It is perfect for any style of camp oven. This cake tastes great on its own or served with whipped cream.
It is also a great cake to cook at home and then take on picnics, hikes, or trips to the beach. It slices really well and can be eaten with or without icing or frosting.
Make sure to grease your cake tin with butter before adding the batter, otherwise, the cake will stick. If you want to add even more chocolate, you can stir in chocolate chips before baking or drizzle the cake with chocolate sauce after the cake has cooled.
Camp Oven Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- camp oven
- rectangle cake tin
- Heat the camp oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a rectangle cake tin.
- Use a handheld electric whisk or beat the butter and sugar together by hand in a bowl until creamy and light in color.
- Add 1 egg to the creamed butter and sugar then continue mixing.
- Sieve the cocoa and flour into another bowl.
- Add a third of these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Once combined, add the second egg and another third of the flour mixture then work that in. Then add the last egg and remaining flour then beat until you have a smooth thick batter. If the batter is stiff, stir in a splash of milk or water to loosen it.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared cake tin. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake the chocolate cake for 20 to 25 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Take the chocolate cake out of the oven and leave it in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Dutch Oven Dessert