The Hasselback style of potato preparation is taken to a new level with cheddar and Pepperjack cheese stuffed in the gaps to create a new cheesy version. Not forgetting the salty goodness of bacon also.
Although this is a great side dish at dinner, it can also be used as a meal at lunch. Bacon, potatoes, and cheese combine to create a filling option.
To mix it up a little try a variety of different kinds of bacon or even sliced deli meats. The cheese too can be swapped out, mozzarella creating a more gooey experience, and smoked cheeses giving a bigger flavor punch, the options are endless.
Cheesy Bacon Pit Potatoes Recipe
- 4 large baking potatoes (about 6oz each)
- 2 tablespoons Slap Yo’ Daddy "Love Me Tender" All Purpose Rub
- 1 stick butter
- 12 rashers bacon cooked
- 2 oz cheddar cheese slices
- 2 oz Pepperjack cheese slices
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon sliced green onions
- ½ cup sour cream (optional)
- Rinse the baking potatoes. Cut a small slice off the bottom so it sits flat then place two wooden spoons on opposite the long sides of the potato before you make ¼ inch (3mm) thin slices. The wooden spoon handles prevent you from cutting all the way through the potatoes.Tip: See the photos above for images of this cutting method.
- Heat the smoker to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) with a direct and indirect zone
- Place the potatoes in a glass bowl and microwave until they are tender but not dried out; about 8 minutes.Alternatively, the potatoes can be baked while wrapped in foil for 20 minutes.
- Cut the slices of cheddar and Pepperjack cheese into quarter squares.
- Alternating place a slice of each cheese in the cut groves of the potato along with a square of the cooked bacon.
- Return the potatoes to the foil tray and the smoker to cook for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Place the cheese-stuffed potatoes on the serving plate then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and sliced green onion. Dollop with the sour cream or place on the side.
More Potato Recipes
Stuffed Hasselback Potatoes
Stuffed Smashed Potatoes