If you have some fresh shrimp this quick and easy shrimp chowder is a fuss-free option to make when cooking outdoors. This soup is made extra creamy with cream of potato soup as its base. If you prefer the soup even thicker, you can add instant potato flakes.
It is the perfect balance between fresh ingredients and canned staples to create a flavorsome meal without wasting time with a long complicated preparation. This gives you more time to enjoy your fishing trip, camping adventure, or general outdoor gathering.
The recipe can easily be adapted for frozen shrimp, or even for other fresh seafood you cave caught that day. Try using white fish, crab, oysters, or clams. To kick it up a notch try adding some diced bacon when sautéing the onions.
Easy Shrimp Chowder Recipe
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (10 oz) cream of potato soup
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh shrimp peeled
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the diced onions and sauté for 8 minutes or until transparent and tender.
- Stir in the cream of potato soup, milk, and pepper, then bring to a boil.
- Add the shrimp then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, for 5 minutes or just until the shrimp turn pink.
- Stir in cheese until melted then serve immediately.Tip: If the soup is too thin you can add instant potato to thicken it.