Canned tuna sushi is a great addition to a picnic or packed lunch. Though it takes a little practice to get the roll correct, it is easy to make.
Tinned tuna, with a bit of sweet chili sauce and onions, works really well together and you have no worries about working with raw ingredients as is the case in traditional sushi.
If you would like to add a bit of flavor and crunch to the canned tuna sushi include chopped cucumbers, capsicums, or spring onions.
Canned Tuna Sushi Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 can tuna in brine or water, drained
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 small onion finely diced
- 6 sheets toasted nori seaweed
- 1 teaspoon wasabi optional
- sushi mat
- Add the sugar and mirin to the cooked sushi rice. Leave to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the drained tuna, sweet chili sauce, and finely diced onions.
- Place a nori sheet, rough side up, on a sushi mat. Spread the rice over the nori, pressing firmly and leaving a 5cm gap on the side furthest from you.
- Place the tuna on the closest edge. Using the mat to get started, roll the sushi tightly to form a roll. Moisten the 5cm gap at the end of the nori with water to help seal the roll. Chill until needed.
- Just before serving, slice the rolls into ½ inch (1 1/2cm) slices.Option: You can add wasabi into the sushi before rolling, or serve it on the side and let people decide how much they want.
Two Pot Meal