The camping meat pie is cooked over a campfire in a pie iron. This traditional cooking method produces wonderful outdoor meals. This is a quick and filling meal that is easy to make while out camping. The kids will love to help prepare it with a little help from the adults.
This tasty lunch is a cross between an Australian meat pie and a toasted sandwich. The filling is a traditional style, which is similar to an American sloppy joe meat sauce. You can use different types of bread, from white to sourdough, to whole wheat, depending on what you prefer.
Tomato sauce (ketchup) is the traditional topping for a meat pie when in a rush. When there is a little more time these meat pies are also known to be served in mushy peas. Barbecue sauce would also be a nice addition.
Camping Meat Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons beef stock powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 slices bread
- square pie iron
- Heat a pot over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook until the meat has just browned.
- Add the onions and garlic to the beef, then cook until the onions are transparent.
- Add the flour and stir. The beef will start to thicken with the oils released from the beef and become dry and crumbly.
- Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, beef powder, and water. Stir while bringing to a boil.
- Once boiling simmer for two minutes then put aside until needed.
- Place a slice of bread in the pie iron and slightly push down to make a dent in the bread the same shape as the pie iron so there is a spot to hold the meat filling.
- Ladle or spoon in the meat sauce to fill then top with the second slice of bread. Close the pie iron and clasp closed.
- Place over the coals of the campfire and cook, swapping sides to heat the inside and toast the outside, for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
More Pie Iron Recipes
Pie Iron Caprese Sandwich
Pie Iron Hot Dog