A one-pot meal, Beef Shank Casserole, is a savory and comforting mixture of beef shank, root vegetables, and fresh herbs. This dish cooks low and slow in your Dutch oven in a grill or smoker, giving it tons of flavor. The resulting meat is fall-off-the-bone tender with a delicate smoky touch.
Beef shank comes from the legs of the cow and is a well-worked muscle low in fat but rich in flavor. For the most tender meat, it is important to cook it low and slow. Because of its low fat but high protein content, this is a great healthy option for a meal.
Savory and earthy root vegetables, along with fresh herbs, are the perfect accompaniment to the beef shank. They cook to tender perfection alongside the meat in the Dutch oven. You can play around with other root vegetables, like parsnips, rutabaga, or celeriac.
Beef Shank Casserole Recipe
- 2 to 3 pounds Marble Ridge Specialty Farms beef shank, sliced or whole
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds baby yellow potatoes halved
- 3 large carrots roughly chopped
- 3 medium ribs celery roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 3 green onions roughly chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Dutch oven
- Preheat the camp oven, closed grill, or smoker to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the beef shank in a large Dutch oven or roasting pan. Season both sides of the meat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Scatter the vegetables and herbs around the beef shank and cover with the lid or aluminum foil.
- Cook the beef shank until falling apart tender, about 4 hours. Let it rest for 30 minutes before serving.
More Casserole Recipes
Smoked Lamb Shank Casserole
Camping Beef Steak Casserole