This steak casserole cooked in the barbecue is a great option when you are looking for something a little different from traditional grilling. It is a great hands-off way of cooking a steak.
This recipe uses carrots and green beans as the two main vegetables. You can substitute these for other veggies that you may have on hand, like peas, potatoes, or broccoli. The onion and garlic are important to the flavor.
This is a hearty dish great for cool nights. It goes great with fresh bread to mop up the extra juices. If looking for it to go further, you can always serve it with additional vegetables, mashed potatoes, or grits.
Camping Beef Steak Casserole Recipe
- 2 beef steaks of choice
- 2 carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup green beans fresh, frozen, or canned
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 glass red wine
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock, as needed
- fresh bread for serving (optional)
- 1 casserole dish
- Prepare the beef steaks by removing any excess fat or gristle.
- Prepare the vegetables by peeling and slicing the carrots and dicing the onion. Top and tail the green beans then cut into bite-size pieces. Finely mince the garlic.
- In the casserole dish add the steaks then sprinkle with the prepared vegetables over the top. Sprinkle the rosemary and thyme over the top.
- Add the red wine and canned diced tomatoes (with juice) then top up with beef stock until all the steaks and vegetables are covered.
- Place in a 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) preheated camp stove, closed grill, or hot smoker. Cook for 1 hour, checking after 45 minutes. Add more water if it is reducing. If browning too much on the top, cover it with a piece of foil.
- When cooked, remove and rest for 5 minutes then serve with fresh bread.
More Casserole Recipes
Smoked Lamb Shank Casserole
Tuna Casserole Bake