These bacon-wrapped frankfurters were a childhood favorite weekend lunch, but also make a simple appetizer. Mini frankfurters are stuffed with cheddar cheese, then wrapped in bacon. They are fun for the kids, but adults will enjoy them too.
These days I like to make the bacon-wrapped frankfurter on the BBQ or smoker and use them as an appetizer or part of a bigger grazing meal.
Although they can be made with normal bacon, the smoked streaky bacon does produce a wonderful result. You can also experiment with different types of cheese, such as adding an extra kick by using a cheese made with chilis, garlic, or even wasabi.
Bacon and Cheese Frankfurters Recipe
- 20 mini frankfurters
- 20 small slices cheddar cheese
- 10 slices bacon halved
- foil sheet
- 20 toothpicks
- Preheat the barbecue (closed grill or smoker) to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line a baking tray with foil or baking paper.
- Cut a long slit down each frankfurter from end to end, then place a slice of cheese inside it.
- Wrap each frankfurter in a piece of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. Place on the prepared baking tray.
- Cook in the barbecue (closed grill or smoker) for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, the bacon is crisp, and the frankfurter is heated through.
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
BBQ Grilled Sandwich