Looking for a twist on your boring hot dog meal, then why not try wrapping in bacon? It is a slightly longer prep time than a normal plain hotdog but totally worth the effort.
The bacon protects the sausage from the harsh heat of the live-fire while basting it in sweet bacon fat. Depending on how long it is cooked the bacon can also crisp up creating a textual boost also.
Once cooked, serve these hotdogs like you would any other hot dog. Place them in a soft roll with your favorite toppings. Alternatively, they can be served as the meat element of a meal with sides of vegetables or salad.
Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs Recipe
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 hot dogs
- 1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 16 tooth picks, optional
- Using a toothpick, secure a slice of bacon on one hot dog.
- Firmly wrap around the hot dog, then using another toothpick, secure the other end. Repeat with the remaining bacon and hot dogs.
- Combine the BBQ sauce and apple juice in a cup to create a glaze.
- Over a moderately warm preheated grill, add the bacon-wrapped hot dogs. Cook, turning as required until heated through and the bacon is cooked, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Glaze the whole hot dog then cook for 3 minutes, turn, glaze again then cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove all the toothpicks, then serve.
More Hot Dog Recipes
Pull Apart Hot Dog Bites
Camping Hot Dog Taco