This novel treat from the grill of a bacon pineapple donut also includes mozzarella cheese. All these elements are carefully arranged with the bacon wrapping around it to hold everything together and shield the contents from the heat of the charcoal.
The inspiration comes from the family favorite of a Hawaiian pizza with it effectively being a tasty gluten-free version with only the pizza dough missing. This delight is also easily eaten by hand like its pizza cousin.
Although it can take some time to assemble the elements and wrap them it is well worth the effort and will be appreciated by all those who eat them. To help with the wrapping bring the bacon to room temperature before wrapping as it is more valuable when warm.
Bacon Pineapple Donuts Recipe
- 3 large sweet yellow onions
- 1 can sliced pineapple rings
- 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 24 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon Slap Yo’ Daddy "Love Me Tender" All Purpose Rub
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dipping
- Peel the onions. Cut them into slices 1-inch (2cm) thick.
- Drain the juice from the pineapple rings and set aside 8 slices.
- Match the onion rings to the size of the pineapple slices—choose rings that have more of a bowl shape to help hold the string cheese in place.
- Tear the mozzarella string cheese in half. Place one half of the mozzarella in the onion ring and cut the other half to fill in the remaining gap. Place the cut piece filling in the gap.
- Stack the mozzarella-lined onion ring on the pineapple and start wrapping it with bacon slices. Use two to three slices of bacon per ring. Just take it slow and keep it all in place and it will eventually wrap – sometimes it takes some repositioning or re-stuffing of the string cheese into the ring.
- Once wrapped, sprinkle each piece with the rub.
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- On the indirect side of the grill place the bacon pineapple donuts and cook for 30 minutes, turning occassionally.
- Let cool down for a few minutes before serving with your favorite dipping sauce, such as marinara.
BBQ Grilled Sandwich
Grilled Side Dish
Grilled Side Dish