Easy steamed bacon cabbage is a side dish that can be cooked in a saucepan, over a portable gas stove, or over a campfire. It is a tasty side that goes well with a range of main dishes. Bacon adds a slightly smoky flavor to the delicate cabbage.
With only a few simple ingredients, including bacon, onions, and cabbage, this dish is quick to prepare. It is steamed in white wine for about twenty minutes. The end result is tender and flavorful.
Serve the dish as written, or make it fancy by adding a splash of vinegar or red pepper flakes. It’s great served next to a grilled steak or piled on top of hotdogs.
Easy Steamed Bacon Cabbage Recipe
- 2 strips bacon chopped
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 green cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- saucepan with tight fitting lid
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until the fat begins to render about 7 minutes. Stir in the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and white wine, then stir. Put on the lid and steam until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Before serving, stir to incorporate the bacon and season with salt and pepper, to taste.