This Spicy Tangy BBQ Sauce is just that – a bit spicy and tangy, with a touch of brown sugar to round out the flavors. It’s perfect for topping pulled pork and great to have on hand in the fridge whenever you need a quick sauce.
The sauce comes together very quickly. You only have to sauté and simmer the ingredients for a little while. For a smoother sauce, use an immersion or regular blender to get the consistency you prefer.
Keep this BBQ sauce in a clean jar in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks, or freeze it in small batches.
Spicy Tangy BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sweet onions diced
- 1/4 cup carrots finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery finely diced
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt to taste
- immersion blender
- Add the butter, onions, carrots, celery, and jalapeno to a saucepan. Sauté over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender and fragrant.
- Add the sugar and let it dissolve and get slightly bubbly.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- For a smoother sauce, use an immersion blender to puree it after it has cooled.
More Sauce Recipes
Homemade Alabama White Sauce
Bourbon Peach BBQ Sauce