Spam is a hardy meat option that travels well, these Spam musubi sushi is a popular Hawaiian dish with obvious Japanese influences.
What is a primarily 4 component dish (Spam, rice, sauce, and nori) can be assembled in a multitude of ways to create slightly different variations, three of these have been covered in the instructions but sure you can think of many more.
Spam can be overpowering so having a generous portion of rice and the addition of the sweeter sauce can help counter that, especially the salt element which can be a surprise to those not familiar with Spam.
Spam Musubi Sushi Recipe
- 2 cups sushi or short grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosha salt
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 sheets nori roasted seaweed sheets
- Place the rice into the pot and cover it with water. Swirl the rice in the water then pour off. Repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.
- Add to the pot and rice 2 cups of water then place over high heat. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl then add to the cooling rice. Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture. Allow the rice to cool to room temperature before making the musubi.
- In a bowl combine the oyster sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Stir well until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Slice the Spam into thin slices – thickness is based on personal preference.
- Create rice in thin bricks the same size as the spam, height is to personal preference.
- Slice the Nori into strips that can wrap around the rice and Spam, the thickness is to personal preference.
- Option One: Plain On top of the rice brick, add a drizzle of the sauce then top with the Spam. Wrap the three items in a strip of Nori with the join being underneath, if it doesn’t hold then add a little water with the finger before wrapping to help make it stick.Option Two: Grilled Add to a plastic ziplock bag half the sauce then the sliced Spam shaking to make sure all the Spam is covered, leave for about 10 minutes to marinate before grilling over medium heat. Once cooked assemble as per option one: plain.Option Three: Smoked Place the slices of Spam in the smoker at 250 degrees F (121 degrees C) and smoke for 20 minutes. Brush with the marinade then continue to smoke for 5 minutes then repeat 2 more times to build up a glaze. When completed assemble as per option one: plain.