This is perfect fried rice for camping. It uses primarily canned ingredients like spam and peas to make a dish that loses none of its traditional fried rice character or flavor. Although this makes a great meal on its own it can also be served as a side dish to a simply grilled piece of meat or fish.
The canned peas are a great option but can be swapped out for frozen peas. Frozen peas tend to hold up better to the stir-frying process. You can also swap them out completely for a different vegetable, like canned sweet corn or carrots.
Because Spam is naturally very salty, start with a little bit of soy sauce for seasoning. Give it a taste, then add more if needed. You can use freshly cooked ham, instead of Spam, if that is available to you.
Spam Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 can spam
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 can peas drained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Remove the spam from the can then dice into even cubes about 1/3-inch (1cm). Dice the onion into squares the same size as the spam.
- Heat the wok over high heat and add the oil. Add the onions and stir-fry until the onion starts to become transparent.
- Add the spam and stir-fry until the spam browns.
- Add the garlic and cooked rice then stir-fry until hot all the way through. Add the peas and stir gently not to mush.
- Drizzle with the soy sauce.Tip: Don’t be tempted to add too much soy sauce, as there is already a lot of salt from the spam.
- Serve hot straight away as a light meal or as a side dish.
More Rice Recipes
Griddle Fried Rice
Dutch Oven Main Dish
Camping Mock Jambalaya