Cooking for a crowd can be made easy with a flat top grill which is ideal for making large portions like this griddle fried rice. The rice gets a smokey quality from chopped bacon and a bit of heat from jalapeño peppers. There are plenty of veggies mixed in, making this a great side dish.
This recipe includes a range of vegetables but can be adjusted for whatever you have left in your cooler or fridge. We have used zucchini, carrots, onions, and fresh herbs. Other options may include bell peppers, bok choy, broccoli, and green beans.
This recipe is a perfect use for leftover rice. If you are making rice specifically for this dish, the best results come when it is chilled and not overly moist. So, plan ahead and make it ahead of time.
Griddle Fried Rice Recipe
- 1/2 pound bacon diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 4 green onions (spring onions), sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeño finely diced
- 6 cups cooked rice
- soy sauce to taste
- peanut oil, as needed
- 6 eggs
- Preheat your griddle or flat-top grill with one side hot and the other medium-low.
- To the hot side of the grill add the diced bacon. Stir while cooking, the rendering of the bacon will be the fat that the fried rice cooks in.
- Add the shredded carrots to the bacon and cook until they start to soften. Move the bacon and carrots to the cool side of the grill.
- Add to the hot side with the bacon oil the zucchini, red onions, green onions, and cilantro. Off to the side add the jalapeño to cook by itself, use as much as desired to your personal heat preference. Stir occasionally to ensure all the vegetables are cooked evenly. Combine with the bacon mix and push to the cool side of the griddle.
- Add the rice and break up gently. Drizzle with the soy sauce to add some moisture then stir again. This addition will help it break up even more. Continue to stir and fry until heated through.
- Combine all the elements of the fried rice and stir to combine well. Taste and add additional soy or jalapeño as needed. Turn down the griddle.
- On the cool side of the griddle add a little peanut oil. Crack the eggs and cook while stirring to create scrambled eggs. When starting to firm-up mix in with the fried rice where it will finish cooking. Serve immediately while hot.