Smoked hot crab dip is a traditional favorite, with a smoky twist. Crab, cream cheese, mayonnaise, bacon, scallions, and cheese are combined in a cast iron skillet and smoked.
Play around with the seasonings to get your perfect combination. If you don’t care for crab, try swapping it with smoked salmon or cooked prawns.
Serve this creamy and indulgent dip with chips, crackers, or crostini.
Smoked Hot Crab Dip Recipe
- butter for the skillet
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crab meat free of shells
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces bacon cooked and diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 3 scallions sliced thin
- 2 large cloves garlic chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning or your favorite BBQ rub
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 8-inch cast iron skillet
- Preheat a smoker to 250 degrees F (121 degrees C).
- Butter the cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl add the cream cheese, bacon, mayonnaise, Pecorino, scallions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Tabasco sauce, Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Fold in the pieces of crab.
- Add the crab mixture to the skillet, lightly pressing down to smooth it out.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Smoke the skillet of crab dip for 1 ½ to 2 hours, until the top is lightly browned, and the dip is bubbling.
BBQ Grilled Appetizer