Pasta carbonara is a delightful dinner that shares a balance of ease and taste. This recipe allows it to be cooked over a fire or a gas stove. Pasta is cooked in a rich cream and egg sauce, highlighted with bacon and cheese.
For times when it is harder to carry bacon, it can be exchanged for other meat options like jerky, sausage, and even Spam. Or you can make this dish vegetarian and omit the bacon, but add a little more butter.
This dish goes well with a simple garlic bread that can easily be cooked in a camp environment. Or pair it with a crisp green salad.
Pasta Carbonara Recipe
- 10 ounces pasta such as spaghetti
- 6 ounces bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Chardonnay white wine
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the pasta on to cook as per packet instructions.
- Finely dice the bacon and cook in the skillet over medium heat with the butter.
- In a cup whisk the eggs and cream until smooth and well combined.
- Add the wine to the bacon and simmer allowing most of the wine to evaporate (reduce).
- Take the skillet off the heat then add the cooked pasta, grated Parmesan, and egg/cream mixture. Stir consistently until well combined and the sauce has slightly thickened. Tip: If the mixture resembles scrambled eggs, the skillet and its contents were too hot. Next time adjust the temperature accordingly.
- Taste and adjust with salt and pepper. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, to taste.
Two Pot Meal