A Smash Burger is a ground beef patty that is smashed (squashed) after it’s placed on the grill. Not so pretty, but who needs pretty when something tastes so good? These burgers go great with a cold beer or soda pop and a handful of chips.
By smashing the burger on the cooking surface, you are creating more area for the Maillard reaction to take place. This browning creates even more flavor for your burger. Onions and barbecue rub are added for even more flavor.
These burgers are topped with onions, cheese, pickles, and ketchup. Change up the flavors by switching the type of cheese used, or pick and choose your favorite burger toppings.
Cheesy Smash Burger Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon your favorite BBQ rub
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons chopped pickles
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- Preheat a grill or griddle to medium-high heat.
- Divide the ground beef into 4 balls.
- Place the ground beef on the grill then squash (smash) flat. Sprinkle with the BBQ rub and the diced onions, and lightly smash again.
- Let cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the desired doneness is reached, 3 to 7 minutes more.
- Top the burgers with the cheese and remove them from the heat.
- Lightly toast the buns. Place a smashed burger on each bun and top with pickles, ketchup, and the bun top.
More Burger Recipes
Cheesy Pork Burgers