Mushroom sauce is a wonderful accompaniment served with steak which complements not overpowers the beefy flavors. Quick and easy to make it is perfect for your next barbecue or camping trip.
The secret to a deep flavor in the sauce is to let it simmer for a long time during each step. A good strategy is to cook it before the steak, then it can simmer while focused on the steak. This sauce also works well served as a mushroom pasta sauce.
This recipe uses basic button or white mushrooms as the powerful steak flavor can overwhelm more expensive mushrooms, which can be saved for more delicate flavor combinations like chicken. If remote, canned mushrooms are also an outdoor-friendly option.
Steak Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic finely diced
- 8 mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a frypan over medium heat melt the butter, then add the diced garlic.
- When the garlic is fragrant and not yet browning, add the sliced mushrooms.
- When the mushrooms have softened add the white wine and simmer until about a third of the fluids have evaporated.
- Add the cream then let simmer and thicken.
- Taste the sauce then adjust to personal preference with salt and pepper, or additional wine and/or cream.
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
BBQ Grilled Kebab