As a big fan of lamingtons, it was only a matter of time before I found a camping version – it came in the form of a jaffle.
Being cooked in a jaffle iron, also known as a pie iron, this is a very easy recipe making it accessible to any camper.
When selecting the chocolate cake, something a little firmer tends to be easier to cook, however softer sponge cakes create a more delicate and lighter dessert.
Lamington Jaffle Recipe
- 2 slices chocolate cake
- 2 tablespoons seedless red jam to taste
- 1/2 cups shredded coconut or desiccated coconut
- pie iron
- Take the two slices of chocolate cake and lay them in the jaffle iron (pie iron).
- Spread the red seedless jam (raspberry, strawberry, or similar) on one of the slices of chocolate cake.
- Place the chocolate cake in the jaffle iron (pie iron) with the jam in the middle then place the second piece of cake on top. Close the iron and cook over a campfire.
- After about 6 minutes with the chocolate cake heated through, and a slight crisp to the outs side remove the lamington jaffle for the iron.
- To serve sprinkle with shredded or desiccated coconut. Serve warm.