Jalapeño poppers are a popular American finger food appetizer to eat at outdoor barbecue gatherings. The gentleness of the cream cheese counters the heat of the jalapeño peppers, creating the perfect balance. Even if you like spicy food, be careful when you prepare the peppers to not get the oil on your hands.
Each pepper is halved and filled with a cream cheese filling. It is then wrapped in a piece of streaky bacon and grilled. The resulting parcel is a perfect finger food to share with friends and family.
There are a lot of ways to modify this recipe to fit your personal tastes. Replace the hot jalapeño pepper with mild mini bell pepper. Substitute the spices for your favorite rub, and add some additional cheese to the cream cheese for a slight twist.
Grilled Jalapeño Poppers Recipe
- 12 jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 24 pieces streaky bacon
- 24 toothpicks
- Prepare a grill for indirect high heat.
- Cut the jalapeño peppers in half and remove the seeds.
- Combine the cream cheese, cayenne pepper, garlic, onion, and sweet paprika in a small bowl.
- Fill each half of the jalapeño peppers with the cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap each pepper in a piece of bacon then use a toothpick to hold it in place.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes until the bacon starts to darken and caramelize.
- Remove the jalapeño poppers from the grill then cool slightly so as not to scold people's mouths, but serve while still warm.
More Popper Recipes
Atomic Buffalo Turds (Poppers)
BBQ Grilled Appetizer
Cheesy Kransky Jalapeño Poppers
Dutch Oven Baking