Walleye fish tacos are beer-battered and deep-fried, then topped with fresh veggies then a creamy mayonnaise and sour cream sauce. Often referred to as “Baja-style”, you’ll love these fresh and crisp tacos. They are great for a crowd when everyone can assemble their own tacos with their favorite toppings.
Walleye fish is a freshwater fish known for its unique flavor and flaky flesh. If you can’t find walleye, yellow perch is a great substitute. You can even try cod or halibut in a pinch.
If you like your tacos with a bit of heat, try mixing a little smoky chipotle sauce into the creamy mayonnaise dressing. Or, serve the tacos with thinly sliced fresh jalapeno peppers or pickled peppers. Fresh salsa and guacamole are also a nice addition to the tacos.
Walleye Fish Tacos Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dark Mexican beer
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound walleye fillets
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 24 corn tortillas
- 2 to 3 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- deep fryer
- Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. While whisking, gradually add the beer. Set aside and let the batter rest for 15 minutes before using.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, cumin, and lime. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Cut the fish fillets into 1-inch (2 ½ cm) cubes. Coat the chunks in the beer batter, letting any excess drip off.
- Deep fry the fish until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Warm the tortillas on a griddle or in a skillet, over medium heat, until warmed through and starting to brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Divide the fish between the tortillas, then top with the chopped onions, tomatoes, and cilantro. Drizzle with the sauce and serve immediately.
More Taco Recipes
BBQ Grilled Meat
Flank Steak Tacos
Camping Hot Dog Taco
BBQ Grilled Meat