Roasting a Turkey in a Dutch oven isn’t any harder than roasting a chicken, the trickiest part is having a Dutch oven that is large enough.
This recipe uses a simple salt and pepper seasoning, but you can upscale it to your favorite poultry rub.
This turkey may be served with vegetables cooked in another Dutch oven, or if you have limited cookware it can be served with a salad.
Dutch Oven Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 4 onions
- 18 pond turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 15-inch Dutch oven
- Slice the four onions and place the bottom of the large 15” Dutch oven.
- Rinse the turkey in cold water, drain, and pat dry. Rub the salt and pepper all over the turkey.
- Place orange and lemon inside of the turkey, then place the turkey on top of the onions.
- Bake for 3 hours in a Dutch oven. Use 10 briquettes underneath and 30 on top of the Dutch oven. Replace coals every 45 minutes, or when burnt out.
- Roast for three hours then checks the temperature of the turkey. It must read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) before it is fully cooked.