Chicken cacciatore is a healthy meal made of protein and vegetables for a balanced camp diet. It is an easy meal that can be cooked over a gas stove while camping or in a Dutch oven over an open fire.
It’s a simple meal with its own sauce and is traditionally served on top of pasta. It also goes well served over vegetables or mashed potatoes, and with garlic bread.
Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 kg chicken cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup wine
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- Dutch oven
- gas stove
- Heat oil in a skillet or Dutch oven until hot. Add the garlic, onions, and chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, stirring often.
- Add the wine, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix well.
- Add the green and red bell peppers and cook for a few minutes until beginning to soften.
- Pour in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Stir in the kalamata olives and serve.
Dutch Oven Main Dish