Originally made to celebrate Fat Tuesday for Mardi Gras, these blueberry ricotta pancakes are fluffy and delicious. These pancakes have a surprising and tasty blueberry twist. The combination of ricotta cheese and beaten egg whites make them especially fluffy.
To top off these wonderful pancakes, make your own blueberry-orange syrup. You can use either fresh or frozen blueberries, depending on what is available. Alternatively, you can swap out for whatever fruit is available.
This recipe references being cooked on a flat top grill but can also be made in a skillet or frypan. The key is to have cooking equipment that can hold a medium temperature to create a golden brown finish while cooking the center through.
Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes Recipe
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch fresh nutmeg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- flat top grill
- In a pot combine the blueberries, maple syrup, and orange juice over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a gentle boil then reduce the temperature to a simmer. Stir occasionally and cook until berries are fully defrosted and heated through, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand while you prepare the pancakes.
- Preheat the flat top grill to medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl combine the ricotta cheese, egg yolks, milk, oil, sugar, salt, nutmeg, flour, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the pancake base.
- Brush the preheated flat top grill with vegetable oil.
- Spoon the pancake batter onto the hot flat top grill and cook about 2 minutes per side, until each side is golden brown and the centers are cooked.
- Stack the ricotta pancakes in serving sizes then top with the blueberry topping. Serve while still hot.
More Pancake Recipes
English Pancakes with Lemon
American Southern Corn Pancakes