This is an easy recipe to make two large beer pretzels. The recipe calls for a Pilsner but you can use whatever beer you have at hand.
Yeast bread can be difficult to cook outdoors as unlike in kitchens and bakeries it is difficult to control the ambient temperatures such as heat from direct sunlight or chilling winds. It is recommended to create a proofing box to create a small area that is manageable.
The top of the pretzel is finished with a basic salt but it can be stepped up to a smoked salt or spicy salt. Variations of the flavor can also come from the beer used, try it with your favorite styles and brands.
Homemade Beer Pretzels Recipe
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 150 ml Pilsner beer or beer of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 30 g butter melted
- 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- coarse sea salt or kosha salt, to garnish
- baking tray
- camp oven
- In a small bowl add the yeast, sugar, and warm beer, then stir well. Then leave it in a warm place to activate.Tip: ‘Warm’ in baking is usually around 100 degrees F | 38 degrees C.
- In a large bowl add the flour and salt, then create a well in the center. Add the yeast mixture and melted butter then mix into a rough dough.
- Turn the rough dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the kneaded dough into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel, and set aside in a warm place for an hour or until roughly doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and knead again for 2 to 3 minutes. Half the dough into 2 even balls.
- Roll each dough ball into a long rope-like piece about 40cm (16 inches) long. Circle and knot into a pretzel shape on a tray. Repeat with the other ball of dough.
- Cover the pretzels with a clean kitchen towel then leave to rise in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat a camp oven to 180 degrees C (355 degrees F).
- After the second rise is completed, brush the pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with salt. Bake in the preheated camp oven for 15 minutes until golden brown or cooked through. Serve warm with melted butter.
Dutch Oven Baking