This is a great barbecue grill recipe with bacon wrapping the pieces of turkey to protect them from the heat thus keeping them moist and tender while cooking on a skewer. Not to mention that flavor that only bacon can bring.
With the increasing popularity of turkey throughout the year is it any surprise that we are seeing more great turkey recipes on the barbecue. Bacon turkey skewers are becoming a staple of our gatherings.
To stop the skewers from burning while cooking, soak them in water prior to cooking. This will also slightly help wth the threading of the bacon and turkey onto the skewers.
Bacon Turkey Skewers Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/3 cup
- House of Q Slow Smoke Gold BBQ Sauce or your favorite prepared mustard
- 2 lbs skinless, boneless turkey thighs cut in 1-inch (2.5cm) cubes
- 1 pound thin cut bacon
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the garlic, tarragon, and BBQ sauce. Shake until well mixed then add the turkey cubes. Mix well to ensure the meat is well coated, and chill for 4 to 6 hours.
- Cut the bacon in half widthwise, and arrange the slices on a clean work surface. Place a turkey cube at one end of each piece of bacon. Roll the bacon around the turkey and thread 2 or 3 pieces of wrapped turkey on each skewer for a small portion, or 5 to 6 pieces for a larger portion. Before discarding the marinade, make sure each skewer is well coated with the mustard sauce.
- Prepare your grill for direct cooking, low to medium heat. Brush or wipe the grates with oil, if necessary.
- Place the skewers on the grill, close the lid, and cook until the bacon has rendered and is crispy. Turn the skewers over a couple of times to cook them evenly and give the meat some color. The turkey is done when the meat has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C); for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes. To serve, place the skewers on a platter, or plate them individually for your guests.
BBQ Grilled Meat