Flavorful and tender flank steak is marinated in a homemade curry sauce and then grilled on skewers for this easy beef satay. The marinade uses lemongrass, fish sauce, curry, and other ingredients for a brightly colored and wonderfully tasty dish. It is a short marinate for the beef and the skewers then cook quickly on a hot grill.
These satays can be served as an appetizer or the main meal. Use the leftover marinade (not used on the meat) to dress an Asian slaw using your favorite vegetables such as bean sprouts, jicama strips, julienned carrots, cilantro, and crushed peanuts. Or use the marinade as a dipping sauce for your beef satay.
Flank steak is an excellent cut for the satay because it is flavorful and inexpensive. Skirt steak or flat iron steak can also be used for this recipe. If you don’t want to eat beef, chicken is also a possible substitute.
Homemade Beef Satay Recipe
- 1 pound beef flank steak
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small red chili pepper finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Slap Yo’ Daddy "Love Me Tender" All Purpose Rub
- 12 bamboo skewers soaked in water
- Cut the beef into 1-inch (2.5cm) wide strips to fit on a skewer.
- Whisk the sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, and water in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add the lemongrass, shallot, garlic, chili pepper, curry powder, and rub into the sauce.
- Place the beef and marinade in a plastic zip bag and marinade in the cooler for about 1 hour.
- Prepare your grill with a hot and cool zone.
- Take the beef out of the bag and scrape off the excess marinade.
- Thread the beef strips onto the bamboo skewers.
- In a saucepan, add the leftover marinade and bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to sterilize the basting sauce.
- Grill the beef on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Baste with the simmered marinade.
BBQ Grilled Kebab
BBQ Grilled Kebab