If you are looking for a different flavor for your next barbecue try this grilled Asian pork belly. Using a lot of different flavors, like Chinese five-spice powder and palm sugar, creates a unique meal. It can be served with grilled vegetables or rice.
Pork belly is thinly sliced and then marinated before being grilled and glazed. The result is a tender slice of meat, with a crispy coating. The glaze thickens and sweetens over the heat from the grill.
The process of cooking, although short compared to more European methods, still creates a very tender and tasty final product. Do keep an eye on the pork belly when cooking so that it doesn’t burn. The sugars in the glaze can go from delightfully charred to burnt very quickly.
Grilled Asian Pork Belly Recipe
- 2 pounds pork belly
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cups Shoaxing wine
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 plastic bag
- Thinly slice the pork belly about 3mm so it resembles thick slices (rashers) of bacon.
- Combine the soy sauce, shoaxing wine, Chinese five-spice powder, and garlic in the disposable bag. Mix well then remove half into a bowl.
- Add the thinly sliced pork belly to the bag of marinade then let rest for 1 or 2 hours in a cold place like a cooler.
- Add to the reserved marinade (not the bag with the pork) the sugars and red food coloring. Combine well until the sugars are well combined.
- Preheat the grill to a moderate-hot temperature.
- Add the pork belly slices and turn about every 2 minutes until cooked through, this takes about 15 minutes. Due to the large amounts of fat in this cut, it needs to cook more than a tender cut like a steak.
- When the pork is cooked start to glaze by thinly brushing one side then turning and brushing the other side. Continue until a think red glossy glaze is created. Remember that this is high in sugar so prone to burning easily. Serve immediately.
More Pork Belly Recipes
Dutch Oven Main Dish
Chinese Braised Pork Belly
Pork Belly Burnt Ends