Rusty’s Turkey Log is stuffed with fresh herbs, lemon, and sausage for a tasty and impressive dinner. The turkey is dry-brined overnight in the refrigerator, so the meat remains moist while cooking.
This recipe is for a 12-pound bird. For larger turkeys, slowly increase the ratio of ingredients.
Make sure to do all of your turkey prep the night before, so you can let it rest overnight. You want the salt to react with the meat properly.
Stuffed Turkey Log Recipe
- 12 pound turkey deboned
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon course black pepper
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons sage chopped
- 3/4 cup curly leaf parsley chopped
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- vegetable oil as needed
- butcher’s twine
- Lay the deboned turkey in a large pan to keep your counter clean.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon salt and ½ tablespoon pepper over the meat.
- Add the lemon zest and squeeze a bit of juice over it.
- Add the sage and parsley. Massage the herbs and seasonings into the meat. Try and get it into every little pocket inside.
- Distribute the sausage evenly around the inside of the turkey. Try to also get it into all the little cracks.
- Roll the turkey into a log, from the front to the back (if you roll it side to side you will end up with a dark meat side and a white meat side). Tie the log together with butcher twine so everything holds together.
- Add a very light layer of vegetable oil over the skin. Sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper over the outside skin. Let the bird rest overnight in the refrigerator. This will dry brine the meat and help it maintain moisture while cooking.
- Preheat a grill to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Place the turkey on a rack on top of a pan, so it doesn’t sit in its own juices. Cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the bird rest for a minimum of 30 minutes before carving.
More Turkey Recipes
Smoked Turkey Roll
Smoked Turkey with Stuffing
BBQ Grilled Meat