This Philly cheese steak sandwich is an Australian take on the American classic. Ribeye is smoked, cubed, and then smothered in a homemade cheese sauce in a fresh roll.
The cheese sauce (bechamel sauce) is a white sauce with the addition of cheddar (“tasty”) and mozzarella cheese. This sauce is then spiced up a little with the addition of chipotle.
Although the recipe calls for a ribeye steak, any steak may be used. The crucial element is to keep the meat as tender and flavorsome as possible. It is not pleasant to eat a sandwich and be left chewing meat.
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich Recipe
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- pinch salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound boneless rib eye
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), diced
- 1 green bell pepper (capsicum), diced
- 1 red onion diced
- cooking oil
- 2 long crusty bread rolls
- butter for the bread
- Add the milk and shredded cheeses to a small bowl. Gently heat in the smoker or over a very low gas. Stir to make it smooth and avoid sticking.
- Add the chipotle powder, flour, salt, and pepper. Stir well and set aside.
- Mix the salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle liberally over both sides of the rib eye and chill in a cooler while heating your smoker.
- Set up your smoker for indirect heat and preheat to 250 degrees F (121 degrees C).
- Add the rib eye to the smoker or grill, and cook until an internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F (57 degrees C).
- Remove from the smoker, wrap in foil, and allow to rest.
- Place the peppers and onions in a small skillet with a little oil. Saute over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Slice and butter the bread rolls.
- Remove the rib eye from the foil and dice. Divide among the bread rolls and top with the bell pepper mixture. Carefully pour the cheese sauce over the top and top with the other half of the bread rolls.
BBQ Grilled Meat
BBQ Grilled Appetizer