Perfect for hearty single servings while camping, this recipe for tacos in a bag is a popular meal among children and parents that don’t like doing dishes.
The concept is simple: an individual bag of chips, such as Fritos, Nacho Doritos, or similar, is topped with the ingredients of a taco. Such as meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, guacamole, salsa, etc.
When it comes to the meat it can be as easy or as hard as you make it depending on the type of camping. A basic taco meat recipe works well, or I like to use a chili recipe. If really strapped for time or resources you can even use canned chili. Another twist could be leftover pulled pork.
Taco in a Bag Recipe
- 2 cups taco meat or chili (½ cup per person)
- 1/2 lettuce
- 1 tomato or equivalent amount of salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 4 individual bags chips for nachos
- Heat up the nacho meat or chili. Let cool slightly, remembering that it will be held in people’s hands.
- Prepare and lay out the toppings. Slice the lettuce and dice the tomato. Place the salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, and similar in bowls. Then line up in the order that they would be added to the tacos.
- Issue each guest with their bag of chips, then let themselves serve down the line of taco toppings!
Camping Hot Dog Taco
BBQ Grilled Salad
Grilled Shrimp Tacos