With such a beautiful cut of meat, it makes sense to cook a Smoked Prime Rib Roast. This method adds a crust of smokey flavor to complement the juicy tender meat inside.
A different approach to traditionally rubbed meats in a smoker, this version uses fresh herbs in a butter lather. This lather both flavors and moistens the outer crust of the beef.
The inside of the meat however remains beautiful and tender. Near the end keep a close eye on the internal temperature so you can cook it just the way you want. Bringing the temperature of the meat up slowly like this will make the meat appear pinker than other cooking methods, so if your first time it may not appear as cooked as you expect.
Smoked Prime Rib Roast Recipe
- 1 prime rib roast
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig tarragon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 stick salted butter softened
- 2 chunks cherry wood
- Prepare the prime rib roast by trimming any surplus fat or similar. If desired, you can tie strings around the roast to designate portion sizes and increase the visual appeal.
- Remove the leaves from the sprigs of rosemary, thyme, and tarragon. Finely chop the leaves.
- In a bowl combine the herbs, garlic, salt, pepper, and butter. Using your hands combine the butter and other ingredients well.
- Smear the butter all over the prime rib then leave it to rest in a refrigerator or cooler while you prepare the smoker.
- Light the smoker and bring to a temperature between 200 and 250 degrees F (95 and 120 degrees C). When at temperature add a chunk of cherry wood.
- Place the prime rib in the smoker and smoke for 6 hours. Check at 2 hours and add the second chunk of wood. Check at 4 hours and every hour after that, particularly checking the temperature. For a medium-rare result target 140 degrees F (60 degrees C).
- When cooked, put the prime rib roast in a warm sheltered location to rest for 30 minutes. Slice and serve immediately.
More Roast Recipes
Rib Roast Reverse Sear
Roast Rack of Lamb
Dutch Oven Main Dish