Smoked oxtails are true Southern soul food. Often times they are braised for hours, then served with rice, potatoes, or collard greens.
Taken from the cow tail, this cut is heavily marbled and has a rich flavor similar to short ribs or pot roast. Most grocery stores carry this cut. If you don’t see it, then ask your butcher.
Instead of simply braising, these oxtails are cooked low and slow in a smoker for several hours, then braised. They are served falling-apart tender when served over rice.
Smoked Oxtails Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth or stock
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 pounds oxtails (6 to 8 pieces)
- 1/4 cup Killer Hogs Hot Rub or your favorite rub
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- pecan wood
- cast iron pot
- aluminum foil
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots then sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in Worcestershire, vinegar, tomato paste, and wine. Reduce for 3 minutes then add the beef broth and beef base. Stir and continue to reduce for 10 minutes. Set aside. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a smoker for indirect cooking at 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Add a small chunk of pecan wood to the hot coals for smoke flavor.
- Trim excess fat from the outer edges of the oxtails and season all sides with the rub.
- Place the oxtails on a grill rack and smoke for 2 hours or until the outside is a dark mahogany color.
- Remove the oxtails from the smoker and arrange them in a large cast-iron pot. Pour the braising liquid around the meat and cover with foil.
- Place the pot on the smoker and continue to cook for 2 ½ hours or until the oxtails are fork-tender.
- Remove the pot from the smoker and carefully transfer each oxtail to a large plate. Strain the braising liquid and skim the fat from the top.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Spoon the rice onto a serving platter, arrange the oxtails over the rice and ladle the sauce over each piece.
- Garnish with green onions then serve.
More Smoked Recipes
Smoked Lamb Shoulder
Smoked Mac ‘N’ Cheese