Originating in the Middle East, Shakshuka is eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce. This is a perfect meal for breakfast, lunch, or light dinner. Though this dish is great on its own, it also goes well with fresh bread. Try grilling the bread to get a nice appearance and toasty aroma.
You can change the spice level of the dish by using mild Italian or spicy sausage. Depending on how much you like salty bursts in your dish, the green olives can be sliced or left whole. You can use a variety of cheeses or keep it simple with just one cheese.
If you are going for a fancy presentation each individual serving can be made in a small skillet and served directly in it. Or, you can prepare it family-style in a large skillet. You can omit the sausage and add more tomatoes if you would like a vegetarian dish.
Shakshuka (Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce) Recipe
- 12 ounces Italian pork sausage
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives whole or sliced
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar parmesan, or similar cheese
- skillet with lid
- Heat a skillet over a gas stove. Slice each sausage longways and remove the filling. Add to the skillet and stir immediately to break into small pieces. Cook and stir until the sausage is cooked through.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Stir until the onions are translucent.
- Add the olives, tomatoes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper, then bring to a simmer.
- Give the mixture one final stir then use a spoon to create four divots evenly spread through the tomato sauce. Crack an egg into each divot then sprinkle with the cheese. Place the lid on the skillet and simmer until the eggs are cooked to your preference, 3 to 10 minutes.
- When cooked scoop out the egg along with a quarter of the tomato and pork sausage sauce and serve in a bowl or deep plate.
More Egg Recipes
Egg in Bread