This is a true fusion dish where American-style barbecue tri-tip, meets Mexican tacos, and is topped with Argentinian chimichurri with a Hawaiian pineapple addition. Where ever it is influenced, the resulting flavor is amazing.
Tri-tip is a less used steak cut but when cooked correctly to a medium rare it is both tender and flavorsome. However, be sure to cut it against the grain in very thin slices to ensure the tougher long strands of the muscle are sliced rather than needing to be chewed.
The chimichurri is a cold sauce where the ingredients are blended rather than cooked. The acid from the vinegar helps cut through any fattiness in the meat while the fresh herbs provide a strong complementary set of flavors.
Pineapple Chimichurri Beef Taco Recipe
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Fresno chile or red jalaoeno finely chopped
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 tri-tip
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 16 tortillas
- food processor
- 1 chunk applewood
- Add to the food processor or blender the shallot, garlic, vinegar, and oil, then process until these ingredients are smoothed and combined.
- Add the salt, pepper, cilantro, parsley, and chile, then proceed to your preferred consistency.
- Set aside for the flavors to meld until needed.
- Trim the tri-tip so there is no visible fat on the exterior.
- Season the tri-tip with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Set your smoker to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). When it reaches temperature add a chunk of applewood.
- Place the seasoned tri-tip on the preheated smoker and cook until it has an internal temperature of 124 degrees F (51 degrees C) or to your preferred doneness.
- Sear the tri-tip over direct heat for 30 to 60 seconds on each side to create a nice crust.
- Rest the tri-tip for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Thinly slice the tri-tip against the grain.
- On a tortilla add the slice tri-tip then top with the pineapple chimichurri.
BBQ Grilled Meat