Lamb Souvlaki is a lamb wrap that uses pita bread along with the seasoned and grilled lamb. The other fillings include tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and tzatziki sauce. This popular Greek takeout meal is perfect to cook over the grill or campfire.
The lamb is seasoned with a savory mixture of traditional Greek spices including paprika, garlic, and rosemary. The lamb can be grilled so it is slightly pink or cooked all the way through, depending on your preference.
Souvlaki makes a great camping or backyard meal option. You can easily hold the wraps in your hands to eat them without the burden of too many dishes to deal with afterward.
Grilled Lamb Backstrap Souvlaki Recipe
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated
- 1 teaspoons onion powder or granulated
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 lamb backstraps
- 1 whole romaine lettuce (cos), halved
- 4 pita bread
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 cup tzatziki sauce
- Mix the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, and olive oil to create the lamb seasoning paste.
- Slather the lamb backstrap in the seasoning paste. Rest for 45 minutes for the flavors to infuse.
- Preheat the grill for direct cooking over charcoal, 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Wipe the excess seasoning paste off the lamb then season with salt and pepper to taste before placing them on the preheated grill.
- Sear the lamb for a minute or two on each side until browned. Remove from the heat and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Over the hot grill add the romaine lettuce. This will provide some char flavor, but the inside of the lettuce still remains crisp.
- Layout the pita bread ready to make the wrap. You may place them for a short time over the grill to pre-warm and add some extra flavor.
- Place a few lettuce leaves, tomato slices, and green onion slices on each pita bread.
- Slice the lamb thinly against the grain then add to the pita.
- Top with the tzatziki sauce. Wrap and serve.
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals
BBQ Grilled Meat