Sweet and spicy, these mini Jalapeno Honey Cornbread muffins are the perfect side dish for your next barbecue. Never dry, the muffins are rich and creamy thanks to buttermilk, heavy cream, and sour cream. If you can’t find pickled jalapeno peppers, feel free to substitute fresh.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make your own. Simply mix a ½ cup of whole milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to sour before using.
Best served warm, make sure to have a little extra honey on hand to drizzle on the muffins before eating. If you make the muffins ahead of time, warm them in a 350 degree F (177 degrees C) oven for 10 minutes before serving.
Jalapeno Honey Cornbread Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk at room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey plus additional for serving
- 5 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers diced
- 24 slices pickled jalapeno peppers
- 12 hole muffin tin or two 6 hole muffin tins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Line the muffin tin(s) with non-stick liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. Add the buttermilk, sour cream, egg, egg yolk, and honey. Use a fork to lightly mix the ingredients together. Switch to a rubber spatula to fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Melt the butter until browned then cool slightly and fold in the batter along with the diced jalapenos. Stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups then top with a slice of jalapeno.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 8 to 10 minutes for the mini muffins and 15 minutes for the regular muffins. Place the pan on a cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with extra honey and browned butter.
Cast Iron Cooking