Hummingbird Cake is as sweet as the cute little bird it is named after. Cinnamon, bananas, mixed nuts, and pineapple are mixed together in this easy-to-make dessert cake.
You can use any variety of nuts you like, but the recipe suggests using half pecans and half walnuts. For even more flavor, lightly toast the nuts in the oven until just fragrant.
If you’re using self-rising flour, leave out the baking soda. If they’re available, use extra-large eggs. You can top the cake with a cream cheese frosting, or serve it plain, both ways are common.
Hummingbird Cake Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple with juice
- 10-inch (25cm) cake pan or two 9-inch (23cm) pans
- Grease and flour a 10-inch (25cm) cake pan or two 9-inch (23cm) pans. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the bananas, nuts, oil, eggs, and pineapple with juices.
- Stir until well mixed, either using a beater or by hand.
- Bake for 70 minutes. Let cool before serving.
More Fruit Cake Recipes
Carrot Walnut Cake