This Grilled Drunken Salsa is a lot more like a dip with grill ingredients, pureed, simmered, chilled then served for deep rich complex flavors. It can still be used on a range of Mexican meals such as tacos, nachos, quesadillas, and similar.
The fresh ingredients include tomato, red onion, and jalapeno but feel free to experiment by adding additional ingredients like bell pepper. The jalapeno can be removed for people who don’t like heat or exchanged for a hotter variety for those who love the heat.
If served as a dipping salsa it can be paired with chips which are great for scooping it up but you can also use vegetables like carrot and celery. Using corn chips makes it a gluten-free option.
Grilled Drunken Salsa Recipe
- 4 large truss tomatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 1 whole jalapeno seeded
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can Indian Pale Ale beer
- 1/2 cup cilantro diced
- Cut the tomato and onion into quarters then season with salt and pepper.
- On a grill preheated to a medium temperature then grill the tomato, onion, jalapeno, and garlic until soft. About 10 minutes.
- Place the grilled tomato, onion, jalapeno, and garlic in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a skillet preheated to a medium temperature add the olive oil. Add the blended tomato mixture then simmer for two minutes.
- Add the beer to the tomato mixture and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until it had reduced to your preferred consistency, this takes about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Stir through the diced cilantro (coriander). Chill then serve garnished with additional cilantro.
BBQ Grilled Salad