This foil packet recipe creates a rich chicken and mushroom meal that includes a flavorsome white wine sauce. All of the ingredients, including a side dish of green vegetables, are cooked in one dish. This recipe is very versatile and easy to make.
Foil chicken and mushrooms use a range of mushrooms of your choice. This is perfect after visiting a local market or a day spent foraging looking for your own. If foraging, be sure to know the dangers of wild mushrooms.
Using foil packets while camping is very versatile as there are so many ways to heat them. You can cook the packets in campfire coals, over a grill, or in a camp oven. Once the heat is applied the liquids inside boil and steam the rest of the ingredients in the packet. The best part of all is that you can eat the meal straight from the packet and not have to wash any dishes.
Foil Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 handful dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 cups various mushrooms
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- green vegetable such as bok choy or asparagus
- 2 sheets foil
- Fold the foil to create two double-layered foil pouches to put the ingredients in.
- Take each chicken breast and thinly slice it to create four even pieces that will cook quickly and evenly.
- Divide the chicken breasts, porcini mushrooms, fresh mushrooms, white wine, butter, thyme, garlic, and green vegetables between the two foil pouches.
- Gently press down on the foil pouches to remove any surplus air, then fold to seal tight. Gently shake to mix all the ingredients. Chill until needed.
- Preheat the cooking method.Option 1: Create a bed of coals with no sharp components to pierce the foil.Option 2: On a grill top heated to medium, about 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).Option 3: Preheat a camp oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Place the foil on or in the heat source and cook for 25 minutes. The foil will puff up into a ball when hot and steaming inside. When you think it is cooked confirm by opening the foil packet and checking the thickest part of the breast.
- Serve in the foil packet alone or pour onto a plate and serve with additional vegetables on the side.